Initial & My life as a zucchini
My life as a courgette
Initial is proud to have brought the film’s characters to life.
Unquestionably the success story of 2016, Claude Barras’ film was an award winner at the MIFA Annecy. My Life as a Courgette is continuing on its journey that could well take it all the way to the Oscars®!
Take a look behind the scenes.
A head = a skull + eyes + eyelids + eyebrows + a mouth.
To enable these elements to be added, INITIAL carried out CAD modelling for each character.
There were numerous aims:
- Accessing the inside of the skull.
- Keeping the eyes in place and allowing the animator to move them easily during filming.
- Creating an area for the different eyebrows and mouths, allowing the characters emotions to be conveyed.
MANUFACTURING EXPERTISEAdditive manufacturing and 3D printing
- Powder sintering – SLS HD for extremely detailed heads.
- Stereolithography – SLA for the neck, used as a model for vacuum casting to produce this part in a flexible material.
- Vacuum casting to produce eyelids.
- Polyjet for the eyebrows and the mouth.
- Standard PA2200 sintering for the trunk and lids of eyebrows and mouths.
An incredible production
- 17 characters in the film, but 45 characters were made to facilitate and speed up animation on several sets at the same time.
- 1538 eyelids
- 1317 mouths (lips + backs of mouths + teeth)
- 400 eyebrows